Monday, January 30, 2012

Assessment of Teachers as it pertains to Technology

The question is whether or not educators should be assessed in the knowledge and skills pertaining to technology. I am of the opinion that educators should have a good grasp on technology available to them and how it can help them in the classroom. However, I do not know if there should be something that actually "tests" teachers on how and what they are currently utilizing in their classroom technology-wise. I do feel that teachers should be well rounded when it comes to incorporating technology to aid student learning but to officially "assess" them I am not sure I agree with. I think that we should trust our teachers that we hire to incorporate the technology provided as they see fit. Our teachers hopefully know our students better than most and would know whether or not technology would benefit them or not and be taking advantae of that.

I can see both the pros and cons for assessment of teachers and their technology usage. On one hand, some of the pros would be ensuring that educators are using the technology that is available to them. Our students for the most part have access to and are utilizing various forms of technology, they will also be expected to be able to use it when they go out into the real world. Therefore, our educators should be using the technology in the classroom and if they are not, then they should be help accountable for that. On the other hand, the cons for assessing teachers usage of technology would be the fact that not every lesson and subject requires technology all the time. Some teachers may not need to utilize technology in their classroom all the time.  I also think that there could potentially be issues with funding for assessing all educators and with the school budgets in as much trouble as they are in, that woul be something to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment